No matter what school you go to, there's only so much you can learn in class or from an online discussion group. That's why it's important to mix things up and find ways to educate yourself beyond the traditional methods. And since you're probably already on the Internet for school anyway, make a point to switch over to Twitter when class gets boring and check out these 100 educational — but also wickedly entertaining — Twitter feeds everyone should read.
News and Current Events
From weird news to satiric commentary, these Twitter feeds by Stephen Colbert and others will keep you informed and entertained.
- @ariannahuff: The Huffington Post founder Arianna Huffington shares stories from the online news journal, including serious news, opinion pieces and tips and views from readers.
- @weirdnews: This weird news feed from Tokyo blasts headlines like "Bomb in Testicle 911 Call" and "Masked police chief sparks school lockdown."
- @StephenColbert: Humorist and newsman Stephen Colbert tweets thoughtful musings on the state of the nation.
- @nytimeskristof: Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof mixes hard news and analysis with personal anecdotes, like possibly being related to Julia Child.
- @algore: For environmental news, personal anecdotes and analysis on the global economy, tune in to Al Gore's feed.
- @mixx: Internet news source Mixx shares weird news and contests here.
- @TelegraphWeird: The Telegraph broadcasts weird (true) news on Twitter via this stream.
- @msnukoddnews: MSN's UK channel reports weird news through Twitter posts like "Police search for naked french fry thief."
- @digg: Stay on top of Digg's trending topics and top stories through Twitter.
- @RtrsOddlyEnough: Reuters uncovers the wacky true stories and mess-ups of real people here.
From celebs to entertainment news, check out these Twitter feeds to stay in the loop.
- @aplusk: Ashton Kutcher tweets bizarre, hysterical messages but is also a good resource for keeping up with celebrity gossip and entertainment news.
- @mcuban: The famously outspoken Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban shares interesting business and tech stories, blog posts, diet tricks and Texas love with his trademark enthusiasm.
- @THE_REAL_SHAQ: Follow Shaquille O'Neal for a mix of inspiring retweets and aggressive challenges.
- @Oprah: Follow Oprah to find out what the most powerful woman in media finds entertaining and worth reading.
- @HarlequinBooks: The famed romance novel publisher uses Twitter to talk about smutty heroes, upcoming books, vampire romance authors and more.
- @peoplemag: People Magazine's Twitter feed will keep you updated with all the latest celebrity gossip, photos and news.
- @TheReadersPlace: Get ideas for new books to read on this Twitter/forum.
- @TheEllenShow: Ellen DeGeneres is a sucker for inspirational stories but also shares hysterical anecdotes from her show and the entertainment business.
Arts, Music and Fashion
Broaden your knowledge of and appreciation for the art world, music and fashion from these entertaining writers, filmmakers, critics and artists.
- @DAVID_LYNCH: Filmmaker David Lynch is just as proud of his artistic endeavors as being an Eagle Scout.
- @deepredbells: Heather Cee is a music snob who can teach you something about who you should be listening to.
- @dizzyblazeberg: Fashion writer Derek Blasberg shares all of the weird and hysterical run-ins he has with designers, photographers, celebrities and oddball New Yorkers.
- @lotd: Get a random song lyric every few hours from @lotd.
- @thecutblog: New York Magazine's fashion blog The Cut tweets self-deprecating, sometimes irreverent messages about arts, entertainment and style.
- @MuseumModernArt: The MOMA tweets with other museums, shares behind-the-scenes news and highlights different artists.
- @amazonmp3: Learn about new songs and artists while getting discounts and freebies on music downloads at Amazon.com.
- @GettyMuseum: The J. Paul Getty Museum loves tweeting about all things related to art, film, music, literature and more.
- @artnetdotcom: Artnet Magazine shares its reviews and art news here.
- @womensweardaily: Learn about fashion shows, designers, models, and the fashion industry from @womensweardaily.
Travel and Language
Get inspired to learn more about the world beyond your own neighborhood from these feeds, which share everything from language tips to travel photos and more.
- @nytimestravel: Learn about off-the-beaten-path travel locales plus cool things to do in popular travel destinations.
- @EverywhereTrip: Gary Arndt has been traveling the world since March 2007. Follow his feed for travel tips and daily travel photos.
- @GoodPubGuide: Each day you'll learn about a UK pub worth checking out.
- @BrilliantTips: Get brilliant travel tips and trends here, from the Rocky Mountains to Tahiti.
- @umarket: This feed shows what it's like to travel the world, from India to the Andes.
- @worldreviewer: Here you'll find travel hacks for your next ski trip, ordering deliveries to your hotel, and more.
- @frenchlanguage: Learn a new French word, phrase or piece of trivia each day.
- @SEKeener: The founder of BootsnAll Travel tweets travel news and highlights interesting destinations here.
- @tofugu: This feed comes from a "wonky Japanese language/culture blog" and has good tips like "100 ways to entertain someone from Japan."
- @Londonist: @Londonist is a fabulous feed for anyone planning a trip to London.
Education and Reference
Here you'll find that learning can be fun. Subscribe to tweets that share videos, lectures, daily word games, grammar tips and more.
- @TED_Tweets: TED.com shares inspiring and entertaining videos and lectures from top scientists, musicians, educators, architects and more.
- @dailylark: Vincent Hoekstra shares clever, deliciously fun-to-say-and-use phrases like "a frost of dowagers" and "a guess of diagnosticians" each day.
- @theblogtionary: Learn new terms in the blogging world like cyberjamming and twoot.
- @worldalmanac: The World Almanac tweets interesting facts and trivia.
- @_enlightenment: Learn about the latest in online education, with a little sports news on the side.
- @thewordoftheday: Expand your vocabulary when you follow this feed, which tweets definitions and pronunciation guides for words like farouche, serotine and plangent.
- @BrokeAssGourmet: This feed tweets about "good food for your broke ass."
- @GrammarGirl: Mignon Fogarty tweets grammar and writing tips here.
- @smithsonian: Find links to webcasts, museum news, photos and more educational material here.
- @librarycongress: You'll find all kinds of entertaining and educational links and tweets from the Library of Congress, from the folklife center to cartoons to music to keynote speeches.
Follow these feeds to learn more about the business world, with an entertaining spin.
- @FastCompany: Fast Company shares relevant news stories for businesses who want more of a social media presence.
- @MsPinkSlip_Blog: This feed combines humor, personal anecdotes and insight into the recession.
- @ducttape: John Jantsch, the man behind Duct Tape Marketing, shares innovative marketing and business strategies.
- @ev: Twitter founder Evan Williams is just an all around fun-to-follow tweeter.
- @big_think: This feed is full of insightful, inspiring messages for business and life.
- @stockpicks: If you have a sense of humor about the tanking economy, check out this feed.
- @SuzeOrmanShow: Whether you love her or hate her, Suze Orman tweets financial advice in a pretty snarky way.
- @USATODAYmoney: Find well-rounded business and finance news here, from Eminem to Hummer to the housing market.
- @MadMoneyOnCNBC: The incredibly intense Jim Cramer tweets here.
- @GetOutOfDebtGuy: Get money management tips while feeling better about your own situation when you follow this feed.
Writers and Media
These fiction writers, media personalities and magazine editors share tips about writing, interviewing, traveling, reading and beyond.
- @vanityfairmag: Vanity Fair's Twitter feed is a lively conversation about the media industry, celebrity culture, politics, and inside jokes.
- maureenogle: Historian and author Maureen Ogle shares interesting articles and news about her most recent book about American beer.
- @nprscottsimon: Scott Simon, host of NPR's Weekend Edition tweets about his interesting job, from politics to music to books.
- @chuckpalahniuk: Chuck Palahniuk tweets writing tips, book reviews, and updates on his own writing projects.
- @aswinn: You can learn a lot from Allison Winn Scotch, a New York Times best-seller, celebrity profiler and all around "ass kicker."
- @DebraSnider: Debra Snider actually responds to other people's Twitters and offers her own perspective on the current culture.
- @Maureen: Maureen Evans measures her life out in senryu, or haiku of human foibles.
Follow these tech tweeters for expert advice and lots of laughs.
- @zeldman: Jeffrey Zeldman, "father of the Japanese children" is also full of great web worker tips.
- @BoobsRadley: Julieanne Smolinski is an irreverent editor for two AOL sites who loves second base and her big boobs.
- @GuyKawasaki: Tech genius and entrepreneur Guy Kawasaki tweets plenty of interesting, informative tutorials and tech news stories, but he has a sense of humor about himself, too.
- @Scobleizer: Follow Robert Scoble for incredibly helpful tips and insight into gadgets, the Internet and more.
- @timoreilly: Tim O'Reilly tweets important and off-the-wall news from the tech industry as he travels the world.
- @leolaporte: Leo Laporte pulls readers into his discussion about Google, Linux, Windows and more.
- @theitskeptic: Rob England is an IT skeptic who shares rants, tech tips, polls and more.
- @EricHamm: This web entrepreneur tweets WordPress hacks and frugal web tips.
- @mashable: Mashable's Pete Cashmore tweets the tech stories that affect everyday Americans, like "How We Tweet: In a Car, From a Toilet."
- @kevinrose: Digg founder Kevin Rose posts inappropriate tweets to friends and followers.
- @acedtect: Tom Merritt, CNET podast and video host, tweets here.
- @harrymccracken: Harry is a fun-loving "bon vivant" who shares very useful tech tips for every day.
- @davezatz: Dave Zatz is full of tech news, tips and random musings.
Find inspiring quotes, real-life stories, and helpful life hacks here.
- @theoldesttwit: Truman Peebles, 97, has a lot of wisdom to share as the oldest Tweeter.
- @MarthaStewart: Martha Stewart's practical feed dispenses recipe ideas and other life tips.
- @todayshow: Follow NBC's The Today Show on Twitter for life hacks, news from around the country, inspiring stories and more.
- @tipd: Get finance and money management hacks from Tip'd, a savvy but lighthearted guide to business and budgeting.
- @jimgaffigan: Comedian and actor Jim Gaffigan shares nifty little tips for dieting, exercising, and dressing well.
- @Lifehacker: Get tips for hacking Gmail, office decorating, iTunes, and plenty more.
- @jdickerson: Slate and CBS political correspondent John Dickerson has a lively, well-rounded Twitter feed that features links to book reviews, life hacks, music news and more.
- @real_cool_stuff: Get random tips for going green, being popular on Twitter and more.
- @jesselear: Follow the young world traveler Jesse Lear for quotes like "Give up defining yourself – to yourself or to others. You won't die."
- @dwightkschrute: Dwight from The Office is full of useful tips and tricks, like "always put the most attractive beets on top."
- @Albatros13: Will Jones is a lifehacker with helpful tips and quotes for getting through the day.
Break up your day with these humor Twitter feeds, which share everything from funny quotes to limericks to insightful commentary.
- @hobojones: This country bumpkin lives in a wheelbarrow (so he says) and pokes fun at the simpler way of life.
- @FunQuotes: These fun quotes will keep you upbeat and motivated all day.
- @LimerickLoer: Barbara Kent is talented at creating limericks based on pop culture and current events.
- @willshake: Will Shakespeare tweets from Stratford-upon-Avon as he shares his opinions on the world's state of affairs, from Drew Peterson to Sonia Sotomayor.
- @someecards: The humor site also features an interactive Twitter feed that posts things like "The crucial lessons we've all hopefully learned this week."
- @TheOnion: The Onion's fake news is really just a satiric take on what's actually going on in the world.
- @thejoelstein: Joel Stein tweets random musings that will have you rethinking everything from the Yellow Pages to NASA.
- @fxxxmylife: The popular website FMyLife.com now has its own Twitter feed full of embarrassing stories.
- @cakewrecks: View major cake disasters and learn how to prevent ruining your own cake.
- @funnyordie: The people behind Funny or Die "like to laugh," which is precisely why their Twitter feed is so much fun.
- @cracked: Get weird, funny trivia and articles like "13 Real Animals Lifted Directly Out of Your Nightmares" or "CNN's New Strategy: Out-Dumbass the Internet."