With the popularity and ubiquity of writing online, there's a new demand for web writers. If you're in college or on your own, studying to become a web writer, blogger, or copywriter, there are lots of courses that can offer you the education you need. Read on, and you'll learn about 50 awesome open courses for web writers.
With these courses, you can develop your writing skills.
- Culture Shock! Writing, Editing, and Publishing in Cyberspace: This course will teach you about writing in cyberspace. [MIT]
- The Creative Spark: Learn how to get inspired from this course. [MIT]
- What is Good Writing?: Follow this course to learn what good writing is. [The Open University]
- Introduction to Writing: This course offers an introduction to writing. [Utah State University]
- Argumentation and Communication: You'll be able to improve your persuasive writing skills using this course. [MIT]
- Expository Writing: Analyzing Mass Media: In this course, you'll learn how to think of writing in a critical way.
- Research, Writing, and Oral Presentation: Check out this course for learning how to present information. [Western Governors University]
- Writing What You Know: Using this course, you can develop your skills for writing. [The Open University]
- Expository Writing: Social and Ethical Issues in Print, Photography, and Film: Use this course to learn how to develop your expository writing skills. [MIT]
- Communicating in Technical Organizations: You can build your skills for communicating in a technical environment through this course. [MIT]
- BBC News Style Guide: With this course, you will learn about the style guide used by BBC News. [BBC]
- Becoming Digital: Writing About Media Change: Check out this course to learn about digital media. [MIT]
- English Grammar in Context: In this course, you'll learn about grammar and more. [The Open University]
- Foundations of Language and Communications: Take this course to develop your writing, presentation, and reading skills. [Western Governors University
- Composing Your Life: Follow this course to find out how to express yourself through writing. [MIT]
- Multimedia Reporting: Covering Breaking News: This course will teach you how to handle breaking news. [News University]
- Expository Writing: Analyzing Mass Media: You'll learn how to write persuasively about media in this course. [MIT]
- Beat Basics and Beyond: Follow this course to get an introduction to working a beat. [News University]
- Language and Communications: With this course, you will get an introduction to language and communications. [Western Governors University]
- Becoming Digital: Writing About Media Change: You'll learn how the shift to digital media has changed writing, communication, and more from this course. [MIT]
- Cleaning Your Copy: Follow this course to learn how to edit your own writing. [News University]
- Five Steps to Multimedia Storytelling: Students should check out this course about telling stories with audio, video, and graphics. [News University]
Perfect your research skills with the help of these courses.
- Intermediate Writing: Research Writing in a Persuasive Mode: With this course, you will get an intermediate level education in persuasive research writing. [Utah State University]
- Research Techniques & Scholarship in the Digital Environment: This course will teach you how to take advantage of information and research. [University of Virginia]
- Information Skills Mini-Course: This course will help students build their information science skills. [University of Florida]
- Information in Cyberspace: Check out this course to learn about the history and information on the Internet. [University of Texas]
- Internet and Information Access: You'll learn about the Internet and its resources from this course. [SUNY Albany]
You can develop your technical skills with the help of these online courses.
- Learn and Apply HTML: As a web writer, you may benefit from having a good knowledge of HTML. [Utah State University]
- Technology for Professional Writers: Follow this course to learn about technology that's essential for professional writers. [Utah State University]
- Internet Technology in Local and Global Communities: With the help of this course, you'll be able to understand Internet technology around the world.
- Connecting People with Online Resources: Find out how to best find high quality online resources and share them with others. [Utah State University]
- Interactive Multimedia Production: With this course, you'll learn the essentials of using Flash.[Utah State University]
- Intro to Tech Communication: This course is useful for learning how to translate your writing skills into technology.
Interaction & Social Media
Use these courses to learn how to make the most of social media and interaction.
- Introduction to Media Studies: Check out this course to learn about new media including blogging. [MIT]
- Media in Cultural Context: Popular Readerships: This course will help shed light on developing a popular readership. [MIT]
- New Media Literacies: Get a look into new media literacies including online social networking, blogging, and more. [MIT]
- Seminar in Deep Engagement: With this course, you'll better understand how to forge deep engagements. [MIT]
- Understanding Online Interaction: Professor David Wiley gives a glimpse into how individuals interact with each other online. [Utah State University]
- Social Media & Open Education: Learn about social media's effect on education on this course. [Educational Technology]
- Social Visualization: Understand the online user audience through this course. [MIT]
- Using Internet Communications: With this course, you can learn how theories of communication work online. [UMass]
- Visualizing Cultures: Use this course, and you will get a look into cultural perceptions. [MIT]
- Key skill assessment: Communication: Use this online course to practice your communication skills.
- Creating Meaningful Online Discussions: Check out this course to learn how to build effective online discussion. [Connexions]
- Creating Interactive Media: Use this course to learn how you can make multimedia that's engaging. [University of Southern Queensland]
- Communicating in Cyberspace: Learn about various forms of online communication using this course. [MIT]
- Communicating Across Cultures: This course will help you be more culturally sensitive in your writing.
These courses offer subjects that are useful for web writers.
- Online Media Law: The Basics for Bloggers and Other Online Publishers: With this course, you'll learn about copyright, privacy, defamation, and more for online publishing. [News University]
- Introduction to Copyright Law: Check out this course to get a lowdown on the basics of copyright law, specifically online. [MIT]
- A Fair(y) Use Tale: Here you'll learn about fair use and copyright. [Novell]